30/12/2012

Jonas Mekas


Film-maker, artist and poet Jonas Mekas is a leading figure of avant-garde and independent cinema. He was born 1922 in Lithuania and bought his first Bolex camera on his arrival in New York in 1949. Mainly he filmed the people and places around him.

After his 60-year career he is doing workshops and exhibitions right now in London – for example in Serpentine Gallery. There, I encoun-
tered his work for the first time. I felt like immersing in private situations and feelings. It was also interesting to see people like John Lennon, Yoko Ono or Andy Warhol in unforced everyday life.

"But as I was contemplating my life and my work, I only saw my friends and all the happy moments of us together, and all the places where I have been and where I felt like I was in Paradise."

No comments: